Welcome to the VFW NJ WebCOM Network New Jersey
|Recent News Entries
VFW Washington Weekly - August 31, 2012
January-February 2012 Checkpoint Magazine
VFW Washington Weekly - January 6, 2012
What Does Super Committee Failure Mean to VFW?
President Signs Veterans' Jobs Bill Into Law
Become a Friend of the Department of New Jersey
Posted at 11:23 AM on Friday, February 8, 2008 by newJerseyIn This Issue:
1. Economic Stimulus Packaged Passed
2. FY 2009 Budget Released
3. House Hearing on VA Budget
4. VFW Wants Dole/Shalala Recommendation Blocked
5. Senate Holds Hearing on VA Rehabilitation Programs
6. FY 2009 Defense Budget
1. Economic Stimulus Package Passed: Congress passed a $168 billion Economic Stimulus package late last night (HR 5140) which included certain disabled veterans and senior citizens who had not been included in the first versions of the bill. The changes were made to the Senate version of the bill, and expand eligibility for the rebates to include low-income senior citizens as well as disabled veterans and survivors of veterans whose sole or primary income consists of VA compensation. On a 91-6 vote, the Senate added a provision to grant $300 payments to disabled veterans and veterans' widows who could show $3,000 in veterans' disability and/or Social Security benefits last year. The President is expected to sign the package, and rebate checks could be arriving as early as May. The VFW and its grassroots network came out in force in support of including veterans in the bill.